Monday, February 6, 2012

An unusual girl

When I was little, I'd make up all kinds of silly things, and then tell my mother it's because I was an unusual girl.  She'd ask why and I'd say Chopper 5 News.  I have no idea why or where I got it from.  Seems Sydney comes by it naturally at least ;).  Sydney has a very active imagination.  About a year ago, she told me she had a wolf that was living in our house (pretend) that she named Sander.  He was there to protect her from the mean foxes.  I have no idea where the name Sander came from, or why she was suddenly afraid of foxes.  But there it was.  Sander became an important part of our lives.  He sleeps with her in her room (she won't sleep without him), he goes to school with her, she scolds him like a parent. Sander, from what Sydney has told us:


It the past year, a lot has changed.  She's added a wide assortment of animals to our pretend pets. Shortly after Sander came along, Wyatt joined our household.  Wyatt is a white tiger.  Sydney says he looks like this:

After that, we added in two rabbits.  The rabbits don't have names (she refused to name them).  Then we got a monster named Bonkston.  Yes, she's really making these names up herself.  Then we got two foxes, named Dora and Swiper (she had help with those names from her Dora the Explorer book).  She added a baby elephant named Alexander about a month ago.  I'm told he's pink, and we won't let her keep him in the house.  A mom's gotta have rules here.  Last week Sydney announced that she was going to give birth (yes, a new twist on the animal thing) to another monster named Lulu.  Lulu had to be breastfed by Sydney (I couldn't make this up if I tried people), and has now grown to be a small child sized monster over the past week.  I was informed this morning at breakfast that tomorrow she's giving birth to a bird.  We'll see what kind that is and what name she comes up with.  

Thing is, this is weird.  Is it normal to have this many pretend animals when you have a brother that plays with you daily, several friends both in your two-day-a-week preschool, our homeschool group and some other college friend's kids that you play with regularly?  I'm just not sure, but even if it isn't, I think it's wonderful :).  I love that Sydney is so imaginative.  Sometimes the animals take turns going to live with my parents.  Sometimes they get sent to her room or time out.  I wonder how long we'll keep them?

No comments:

Post a Comment